Day three was a real roller coaster! We woke up to a beautiful sunny morning at the cottages and racing got underway as scheduled this morning. Jack, Nathan and Mark went to the course for a quick practice session and I headed to town for a coffee date with Taylor. Just as we were walking into the coffee shop, the black clouds rolled in and an hour’s worth of storms struck the little town of St. Catharines. Racing was delayed about 90 minutes before they picked it back up again.
Most of us hung at the cottages this afternoon, waiting for word on whether or not the afternoon storms that were predicted would actually roll in. Finally it got close enough to our race times that we headed to the course to get started with our warm-ups – only to be told that racing was delayed indefinitely again. Bridget and Charlotte were able to get their heat in before the delay and finished third, advancing to tomorrow’s semifinal!
After an hour or so of rain and wind, we got word that they were going to start racing again but would only be running the finals and would be postponing all other races until tomorrow. At the time of the announcement we only had about 45 minutes until the start of the Senior W1x final, so Taylor, Bridget and I moved quickly to get our boats set up and on the water. We faced a pretty nasty crosswind coming from portside, but the three of us were able to string together some good race pieces and took 1st (Taylor), 2nd (Me) and 6th (Bridget). We got off the water and did a cool down row on the ergs and were able to watch/cheer as Andy cruised to a third place finish in his final!
We just got back to the Cottages and Liza has a cooked a delicious chicken stir fry for dinner! We are going to fuel up and get ready for an evening of recovery!!